Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Paint By Numbers FAQ

Back before Christmas, I joined in a fun blogger round-up of DIY Chistmas gift ideas. It was so much fun! I decided to have a go and create a tutorial for the a Paint-By-Numbers Canvas DIY gift.

Lately I have been getting a few questions on how it's done so I thought I would include them here for those who are a bit stuck.


What sort of paint should I use?

I used waterbased arcrylic paint purchased from Spotlight. It worked out really good and I was happy with the results! If you are scared about the lines (from the carbon paper) showing through, let the paint dry and then do another coat.

I have heard that oil based paints take a long time to dry and may crack.


How big of a picture can I create?

Really, you can create a picture as big as your canvas! So if your canvas is huge, you have the potential to create a huge picture (this will be a bit tricky though). All you have to do is, when printing your photo, change the size of the picture (this is best done in photoshop) to the size of your canavas. If your canvas is bigger than A4, your photo will probably print on multiple pieces of paper that you can tape together. I did this, and it still worked out fine!

If you aren't really a tech-y person and have trouble fiddling with all of the settings, you could just print out your photo on an A4 sheet and then create a grid on the A4 sheet and the canvas and then draw freehand from there. The possibilities are endless!




What sort of photo should I use?

Probably the hardest part... I would recommend a photo with a range of different colours so that it is more fun to paint and will also create a nice statement. Where's the fun in painting everything green? Little details can be a bit tricky and you want to avoid lots of small spaces, but rather a few, larger spaces... the photo above is the one I chose.

If you have any questions to do with the project too, feel free to leave a comment or send me an email and I will try to help you out!

Oh, and you're probably wondering about my painting. In the end I decided to gift it to myself because I thought it would be great fun to piant it! Photos will be coming soon, I promise...

Have a great week x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! They make my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...